Does anyone know what happened to support for the 3Com LOM 3C940 in kernel
linux-2.4.22-gentoo-r3?  This was available as the sk98lin module in 2.4.20
and works fine for the 3Com 3C940, and in fact it looks as if some of the
Gentoo kernel hackers enhanced it somewhat.  The code is still in the kernel
tree in 2.4.22, and instructions for installing it are still in
/Documentation/networking/sk98lin.txt but it doesn't show up in the
configuration menus or options.

Apparently this is similar to, but not quite the same as the 3C2000 driver,
and some people have reported problems with the driver from the Asus
website.  There are supposed to be patches for it on the SysKonnect website
to fix the problems, but it's been too long since I studied German.

The 3C940 is onboard on an Asus P4C800 MB and although I could put a PCI
card in the box I'm running short of slots and would rather use onboard
gigabit NIC.

Any help from anyone here?  Should I post an enhancement request to
bugs.gentoo.org?  I can install a kernel patch if there is one somewhere.

--
Lindsay Haisley       | "Everything works    |     PGP public key
FMP Computer Services |       if you let it" |      available at