Eamon Caddigan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> SN <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>>> 25/tcp     filtered    smtp
>>> 80/tcp     open        http
>>> 135/tcp    filtered    loc-srv
>>
>> Okay the output here means, the firewall is blocking 6, 25,135, since they
>> show up here you didn't completely drop all packages, but only block them,
>> this is usually safe.
>
> What exactly is the difference?
>
> I ask because I'm also running shorewall, and although I've closed all
> but a couple ports, I get the following results when running nmap from
> an outside machine:
>
> (The 1527 ports scanned but not shown below are in state: filtered)
> Port       State       Service
> 113/tcp    closed      auth
> 139/tcp    closed      netbios-ssn
> 445/tcp    closed      microsoft-ds

> of the ports I've opened, to make nmap realize the host isn't down.
> Presumably, this is because port 80 is closed -- but why would it, and
> all others, be reported as "filtered"?

After following the recent... "discussion" on gentoo-security, I
realized that the real difference between "closed" and "filtered" ports
is whether iptables is REJECTing or DROPping the packets. A quick change
in /etc/shorewall/policy has nearly all of my ports turn up "closed" in
an nmap scan, with a couple still being reported as filter.

My only remaining concern is a handful of ports (135, 4444, 6666-6668)
that aren't specifed anywhere in my shorewall configuration, but are
still dropping packets. Anyone know why these aren't closed?

-Eamon