If you want smaller binaries, you should probably use -Os. Personally,
that's what I've been using for a while now. Can I tell a performance
difference since I switched from -O3? Nope. But the machines I use tend
to be highly overpowered for the types of tasks they perform anyway. To
a degree, the difference between the -O optimizations equates to a very
small performance delta for the vast majority of computer users. Of
course that's just my 2c. :)

Sean