On Sat, Jan 10, 2004 at 07:38:44PM -0500, in <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Tianran Chen <[EMAIL
PROTECTED]> wrote:
> hi,
>
> i just installed Gentoo on my labtop, which has a touch pad as well as a
> usb mouse. now everything work fine except that the mouse wheel still does
> not work in X. i had tried adding following lines in XF86Config just as I
> did in Redhat:
>
> Option "Protocol"     "PS/2"
> Option "Device"       "/dev/mouse"
> Option "Buttons"      "5"
> Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"

This is how my mouse section reads:
Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier  "Mouse0"
        Driver      "mouse"
        Option      "Protocol" "imps/2"
        Option      "Device" "/dev/usbmouse"
        Option      "Buttons" "6"
        Option      "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
        Option      "CorePointer"
EndSection

> ... i tried to change the protocol to IMPS/2,
'imps/2' is usually the correct protocol. You may need to edit your
'/etc/devfsd.conf'. This is the relevant section from mine:
# Create /dev/mouse
LOOKUP          ^mouse$          CFUNCTION GLOBAL mksymlink misc/psaux mouse
REGISTER        ^misc/psaux$     CFUNCTION GLOBAL mksymlink $devname mouse
UNREGISTER      ^misc/psaux$     CFUNCTION GLOBAL unlink mouse

# Manage USB mouse
#REGISTER        ^input/mouse0$   CFUNCTION GLOBAL mksymlink $devname usbmouse
#UNREGISTER      ^input/mouse0$   CFUNCTION GLOBAL unlink usbmouse
REGISTER        ^input/mice$     CFUNCTION GLOBAL mksymlink $devname usbmouse
UNREGISTER      ^input/mice$     CFUNCTION GLOBAL unlink usbmouse

I am pretty sure that the /dev/mouse lines were in the default version
included with sys-apps/baselayout, but I may have wrote the USB mouse
stuff myself. You can either try this, or change the "Device" line from
XF86Config to "/dev/input/mice" or "/dev/input/mouse0". "input/mice" is a
composite of all the USB mice installed in your system (i.e. input/mouse0
input/mouse1, input/mouse2, etc.), and is probably the one you want
to use.

--
Batou: Hey, Major... You ever hear of "human rights"?
Kusanagi: I understand the concept, but I've never seen it in action.