joachim rinck wrote:
please help:
booting of my 2.6.1-gentoo hangs on

mounting proc on /proc

it's from a livecd on a pentium II and at some point i had devfsd installed, now i unmerged that recompiles without devfsd, emerged udev - the same. maybe thats not even where the problem lies...??

Oddly enough, I encountered this very same problem tonight moving from a 40GB drive to a 120GB drive on my Gentoo server. I turns out that I had copied a mounted /dev over the the 120GB drive which caused devfsd (step after /proc) to hang indefinately. Check that /dev in your install is empty when you boot from the LiveCD. If it isn't, do 'rm -rf /mnt/gentoo/dev/*'. This took care of my problem. Maybe it will help you.

--
Andrew Gaffney
System Administrator