Well, I don't think it's that simple, I'm afraid. I should have been more
precise in my initial post (my bad).

Most config files are protected as they should be by the config-protect
functionality and I have all the usual hassle with the etc-update routine.
Except for the make.conf (as far as I've been able to determine).
I've even tried to mark it read only, but to no avail.

Harebrafolk
Jimmy