Hi,
This is my first time installing gentoo, and I'm having problems with my eth0 settings. I set my computer up with a static IP address using net-setup, but the system seems to "forget" the settings I chose. This is causing me headaches because I am trying to install the system through an ssh tunnel, and I get timeouts when I leave my computer doing the emerge system command because the IP address changes. I believe the problem is that I have a DHCP server running on my network, and somehow the computer is letting itself get set by DHCP even though I set it up manually. Does this sound like it could be the problem? If so, how can I tell the computer not to accept DHCP settings? Also, how can I check that nothing got corrupted when the timeout occurred during the emerge system?

Thanks for any help,
Joe Cole