On Wed, 2004-01-14 at 11:17, Mike Williams wrote:

> On Wednesday 14 January 2004 01:36, Jerry McBride wrote:
>
> > If you need a script to setup your crypto-loop are boot up, I've got a nice
> > one. Just ask.
>
> I for one would be interested in seeing this magical script :)
> Mind posting it to the list (if it's not too big)?

Hey, you can use cryptoloop.
It's easy, only the initial setup is some type-work.

Initial setup:

Build a kernel with cryptoloop and a cipher you want to use (aes?)

add the following modules to /etc/modules.autoload.d/kernel-2.x: (if you
built them as modules...)

loop
cryptoloop
aes (or whatever you chose)

Now, the cryptoapi in 2.6 is different from 2.4, so:

Suppose you want to setup /dev/hda5 for use with cryptoloop.

Do the following

For 2.6:

emerge util-linux-2.12 (not 2.11, that only works with 2.4 kernels)
losetup -e aes-256 /dev/loop0 /dev/hda5
Give the password you want.
mkfs.whatever /dev/loop0
losetup -d /dev/loop0
mount -o encryption=aes-256 /dev/hda5 /your/mount/point
# This gives you the opportunity to check your password.
now fill the fs with data.
In fstab you can add the a line like

/dev/hda5 /your/mount/point  reiserfs  encryption=aes-256,user,auto 1 1

This causes a password popup during boot. If you want to do it manually,
change the fstab line.

For 2.4 kernels:
emerge util-linux-2.11 (not 2.12, that only works with 2.6 kernels)
losetup -e aes -k 256 /dev/loop0 /dev/hda5
Give the password you want.
mkfs.whatever /dev/loop0
losetup -d /dev/loop0
mount -o encryption=aes -k 256 /dev/hda5 /your/mount/point
# This gives you the opportunity to check your password.
now fill the fs with data.
In fstab you can add the a line like

/dev/hda5 /your/mount/point  reiserfs  encryption=aes,user,auto 1 1

This causes a password popup during boot. If you want to do it manually,
change the fstab line.

Watch out, the formats are binary not compatible. So, if you use 2.4 and
plan on migrating to 2.6, better do it now.
Dual booting between 2.6 and 2.4 is trouble.

Hope this helps.

Elton