It won't mess up portage but it will not have the benefits of being tracked.  What I
usually do is:

1.  Check bugzilla - many times people create ebuilds and put them in bugzilla.  They
may not ever get into portage but they are available for use.  I've gotten several
from bugzilla.

2.   Ask on the list for an ebuild - maybe someone has one they did and didn't post.

3. Make your own ebuild.