Hi there folks.

This is a bit embarrasing as I should already know this, but alas, I don't.
I've googled a bit for it and read the reference manuals I've got...

"group membership by group reference"
I want users u1 and u2 to be members of groups g1 and g2.
In /etc/group I'd like to use something like:
g1::1234:u1,u2
g2::12345:g1,u3,u4
(users belonging to g1 should have access to g2 as well through inclusion
of g1 in g2 member list)
But I haven't gotten this to work, eventhough I have seen/imagined such
behavior in some /etc/group files I've seen.
Is this possible to do or have I just been dreaming?
Is there a good tool to simplify this "group reference" behavior? It's a
pain to add users to all group entries that they should have access to.

"updating cached group information"
When changing the /etc/group file it takes a while for the change to take
effekt. Is there some process I can sighup or something, or a tool to run
that reindexes the group info?
Changing group file and then running groups command, or trying things that
requires the changed permissions shows that the changes aren't used
immediately by themselves, so I assume they are cached somewhere.
A previous post to gentoo-user mentions pwconv and grpconv, but I haven't
seen any benifit to that, a relogin/reboot is still needed.
Executing "newgrp - g1" or "sg" seems to enable access to the specified
group but not other changes, and not for all users on the system.
A post by Bryan Feir on 030821 explains some of this, but is it still
impossible to for example:
Adding a group g234 on an active system with lots of users and then adding
usergroups g1, g2, g3 to the list of members of the group g234 and then
hup something to give all users, even those logged in access to the new
group?

There are many posts and threads on this or similar issues earlier, but
I've not found any good solutions yet.

Thanks
Jimmy