I recently went through the pains of configuring sendmail
on my laptop which sits behind a firewall and a mail server
also behind a firewall. I ended up buying the 'bat book.'
As the book says, you can get sendmail to do anything...but
boy one has to digest a good part of that long book...

I finally have fetchmail-sendmail-nmh working the way I want.

--
Valmor