On 10:34 Sat 17 Jan     , Tom Eastman wrote:
> On Sat, 17 Jan 2004 01:53, Bill Roberts wrote:
> > On 22:07 Fri 16 Jan     , Tom Eastman wrote:
> > > Ever since I installed gentoo on my new computer in October I've been
> > > frustrated when I try to shut it down.
> >
> > Have you tried the "poweroff" command. Works for me.
>
> As I understand it, 'poweroff' is equivalent to calling 'halt -p' which the
> shutdown process already does.  The problem is that the computer only
> actually turns itself off about half the time.
>
> I have both ACPI and APM enabled in the kernel.  Although because my cpu is
> hyperthreading I get this warning in the kernel messages:
>
>       apm: BIOS version 1.2 Flags 0x03 (Driver version 1.16ac)
>       apm: disabled - APM is not SMP safe.
>
> I have also tried using CONFIG_APM_REAL_MODE_POWER_OFF in the kernel config,
> but just ended up getting the same results.
>
> It's frustrating, because it works about half the time.  So I know that it
> *can* turn my computer off.  I just don't know what's preventing it!
>
>       Tom

Tom

I had never been able to get Gentoo to poweroff for me as other
distros did, until I found the poweroff command.  Just wasn't a
big deal, so I never really researched it. But....

I was delighted when I used "poweroff" and it shut down,
completely. I am using the 2.6 kernel, ACPI is on, APM is off.
Everything seems to work great without the APM, so...

--
Bill Roberts