I haven't played around with standby, but after a standard install, I
upgraded my kernel to 2.4.22-gentoo-r4, recompiling with the following
(below). This got the gnome battery applet working as well as getting the
system to poweroff on shutdown. Of course, after compiling the kernel, I
had to remerge pcmcia-cs.

My 54g card (Broadcom chip) doesn't appear to have any GPL or GPL-like
source available for it (despite Broadcom's claim to support the Linux
community), so I used "driverloader" from linuxant.com. It's commercial,
but I decided to give it the 30-day trial they offer. I haven't had the
opportunity to use it with anything but 802.11b APs, so I don't know if
it works at 54 Mbits. But at 11, it works great.

Hope it helps,
Roy

#
# ACPI Support