On Monday 19 January 2004 16:39, Mark Knecht wrote:
> > Actually I do use one of these (lower case) in fstab: /dev/root, because
> > if I list that in fstab as /dev/hde5 I get two entries for / in
> > KwikDisk and KDiskFree (one for /dev/hde5 and one for /dev/root).
>
> Sure, this will work on most (I think) Linux file systems since they
> support partition labels. However, it won't work for things like FAT
> partitions which don't.

IIRC the /dev/root symlink is created based on the kernel option
root=/devhdXY. (or it could also be based on /etc/fstab, I'm not sure)
Partition labels as such don't have anything to do with it. At least not
here, since I've never labeled any partitions.
  I also previously used it in /etc/fstab for the same reason, but now (in a
new installation due to a hard drive failure). I just have /dev/hda3 and it
doesn't show up twice in KwikDisk or KDiskFree. Could've been fixed in an
update or something.

--
Jani-Matti Hätinen