On Mon, 2004-01-19 at 16:19, Duncan Hughes wrote:
> Afternoon Folks,
> I've been having a play with 2.6.1-rc2-gentoo and all seemed to be well.
> However, this afternoon I booted to 2.4.22, fired up KDE and tried to launch
> Konsole and was greeted with a message that it couldn't find a pseudo tty.
> I can't ssh to localhost for what seems to be the same reason.
> None of this is too much of a problem as I'm using 2.6.1 most of the time, but
> I would like to know what's wrong.
> My /dev/ptty* permissions seem to be OK.
> 2.4.22 worked fine before I installed 2.6.1

Did you set all the flags mentioned by the 2.6.1 ebuild script? Most
pertinently the first two. Here's the relevant text:

Please note that ptyfs support has been removed from devfs
and you have to compile it in now, or else you will get
errors when trying to open a pty. The options are:
Device Drivers -> Character devices -> Unix98 PTY support and
File systems -> Pseudo filesystems -> /dev/pts filesystem.

Also, note that you must compile in support for
input devices (Input device support->Input devices),
the virtual terminal (Character Devices->Virtual terminal),
vga_console (Graphics Support->Console...->VGA text console)
and the vt_console (Character Devices->Support for console...).
Otherwise, you will get the dreaded \"Uncompressing the Kernel\"
error.

-Bruce