Greg A. Bur wrote:
On Mon, 19 Jan 2004 14:28:05 -0600
Andrew Gaffney <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Greg A. Bur wrote:

On Mon, 19 Jan 2004 14:12:29 -0600
Andrew Gaffney <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

I recently got a Garmin E-Trex handheld GPS navigation device. There is a program you can get for Windows that will allow you to download maps, driving directions, etc. to the device through the serial interface. Does anyone know if anything like this exists for Linux?

I have tinkered around with gpsdrive a bit and it works ok. I'm not sure about displaying driving directions but the mapping function isn't bad if you have an Internet connection. It definitely isn't a replacement for DeLorme Topo USA by any stretch but it seems to work well for what it is designed to do.

What I'm looking for is a program that can actually upload new/more detailed maps to the device. I don't want any mapping on the computer. There is this software you can buy from Garmin that will allow you to upload driving directions from MapQuest.com also. I'd really like to do that without paying Garmin an arm, leg, and some other miscellaneous appendage.

I am not aware of an application of this sort for Linux; commercial, open source or otherwise. Your best bet at this point is probably to make an "organ donation" to Garmin. Which model E-Trex do you have?

It appears to just be a Garmin eTrex Legend. I don't see any other numbers on it.

--
Andrew Gaffney
System Administrator