Ok, tried to install about three times so far...all unmitigated disasters. I
run into the same problem every time, following the same routing. I follow
the Gentoo Handbook Installation Instructions to the letter, using
stage2-athlon-xp. My problem happens every time I get to 5.d. Configuring the
Compile Options. The first problem, although I don't know if this contributes
to my installation problem, is that when I go to set variables in
/etc/make.conf (using their exact instruction: # nano -w
/mnt/gentoo/etc/make.conf), I see that all of the variables after CFLAGS and
CXXFLAGS are commented out. Again...I don't know if that's part of the
problem or not, but I've tried with the variables commented out, and without
them commented out, and I have the same problem each time, so probably not
part of the problem. Anyways, so then I try to select a fast mirror, and I
don't think that's working. I type

# mirrorselect -a -s4 -o >> /mnt/gentoo/etc/make.conf

and all it does is tell me that one server doesn't exist...one that seems to
be from the netherlands, or something. Doesn't say anything else about any
other servers, so no idea if it's actually doing anything.

Anyways, after that comes the big problem. I copy the DNS info to
/mnt/gentoo/etc/resolv.conf, which goes ok, and then I go to enter the new
environment.  The Handbook says to do this:

# chroot /mnt/gentoo /bash/bin
# env-update (which should lead to)
Regenerating /etc/ld.so.cache...
# source /etc/profile

I do the first step, and it goes fine, but then, when I type in env-update, it
tells me no such command exists. So I type e and hit tab, and it lists the
command that starts with e, and there is a command called env, but nothing
called env-update. I'm assuming this is a pretty big problem...but on I go
anyways. So, the next command it says to type in is:

# emerge sync

Whoops, no command emerge. So, that's where I've stopped each time. Any
advice?
--

peace,

Rog