On 12:43 Mon 19 Jan     , Ian Truelsen wrote:
> On Mon, 19 Jan 2004 19:56:00 +0000
> Mike Williams <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > On Monday 19 January 2004 19:37, Ian Truelsen wrote:
> > > With the alsa modules now built into 2.6, should I load the snd_*
> > > modules with the alsasound init script or via the modules.autoload?
> >
> > The init script.
> > - From a module perspective nothing has changed. The modules are still
> > named the same, and end up in roughly the same place (depmod sorts out
> > the actual location)
> >
> Okay. However, when I load the alsasound script I get a series of errors
> of which this one is representative:

> FATAL: Module snd_emu10k1 already in kernel.
>
> I know they are built as modules. What is causing these errors?
>
> --
> Ian Truelsen
> Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> AIM: ihtruelsen
> Homepage: http://www.ihtruelsen.dyndns.org
> Signature key (742B740D) available at pgp.mit.edu

Don't listen to my advice, I have never actually gotten alsa to
work, but... In 2.6, there are two ways of setting up ALSA.
First, compile it in the kernel, in which case you don't need to
load a module. Second, don't compile it in the kernel but as a
module (use M instead of *), then load the module. There seems to
be differing opinions on which method is less likely to fail.

--
Bill Roberts