begin  quote
On Mon, 19 Jan 2004 23:35:33 -0700
Dan Egli <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Is there some trick to using Gentoo's su command? In the past on any
> unix system I've used I could su to root with su -. Then when I enter
> the root password I become root. But on my gentoo box every time I run
>
> su I get:
>
> su: Permission denied
> Sorry.
>
> Huh? Permission denied?  Whats up with this? Anyone experience it
> beore? How can I fix it? sudo works fine but if I want to do several
> things as root I don't want to sudo each of them.

Yep. there's a trick. Usually this specific problem is solved by the
FAQ.  Explaning:   you have to be a member of the privileged group
"wheel" to do "su" on a Gentoo system.

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/faq.xml#doc_chap3_sect7

//Spider
--
begin  .signature
This is a .signature virus! Please copy me into your .signature!