On Tue, 2004-01-20 at 22:21, Dhruba Bandopadhyay wrote:
> I can't quite believe that I've lost the entire system to a
> routine package update on the stable tree.

Well, in fairness, one should never upgrade a core library, especially
glibc, except as part of a major planned system upgrade.

We get so used to Gentoo rocking in most situations that unfortunately
it's easy to forget that  we can't get away from the tribulations the
other distros go through to find a stable
gcc+glibc+core+bin+file+libs+... combination.

Mucking with any of those things invites a full regression system
rebuild at best and a disaster at worst.

Use space apps, on the other hand (up to and including GNOME!) are
awesome to rebuild if as and when you have a reason to.

> As soon as I realised I mailed
> the list.

Which is much appreciated by the rest of us - and the strength of the
Gentoo community!

I'm very sorry that your machine got hosed. Let me know if there's
anything I can do to help on rebuild.

AfC
Sydney