S. Krishnan wrote:
I'm having problems with daemon init on Gentoo.  Whenever, for example,
due to a misconfigured file, a daemon with an /etc/init.d file does not
start, (typically sendmail, bind, etc.), whenever I try to restart it
using the /etc/init.d/<daemon> restart, or a stop/ start sequence, or
just a plain start, it refuses to start again.  The error message says
that the daemon has already started, in spite of the fact that it did
not start.  If I then try to stop it, I am told that it was not
started.  The only way to get the daemon up again is to reboot or change
the runlevel and then switch back to the default runlevel.

I am sure there is an easier way to do this.

And just for completness ... every started demon has symlink in /var/lib/init.d/started if u remove it, u can restart the demon paintless again

noro