I can burn using an ATAPI under 2.4.22 (ck-sources) with SCSI-Emulation - the command
line for burning with cdrecord (provided that you have emerged cdrtools) that works
for me is:

$ cdrecord -v -pad speed=48 dev=ATAPI:0,0,0 -dao -audio -swab /cdrecorder/*.wav
driveropts=burnfree

if i want to burn an audio-cd from the .wav-files in /cdrecorder/
or

$  cdrecord -v -pad speed=48 dev=ATAPI:0,0,0 -dao /path/to.bin
driveropts=burnfree

if I want to burn a cd from an image that i created earlier with mkisofs.

You might want to correct the ATAPI:0,0,0 for your cd-burner. I figured it out by
trial and error though i am sure there has to be some kind of documentation on this
one :-)
Good luck with it.

Cheers
Ben