I've (sheepishly admitting) actually not bothered much about the intel
solutions since the dual athlons became available. Every time I've taken
the time to check the prices of Intel stuff in comparison to performance
they have come up short. Admittedly I haven't checked the intel solutions
for the last six months or so. Is it time to start digging for prices and
benchmarks again?

The serious benifit to the intels have always been stability, quality and
compatibility, which have been better than the amd counterparts. But my
customers have always opted for the markedly better price/performance
ratio of amd over the hassle-reduction of intel.

What's the going street price for a dual 2-3GHz Xeon or P4 with 512MB ram?
How much faster is the Xeon on FPU intense stuff compared to the P4?
Do you have any personal favourites among mobos and ram that work well?
How much would a comparable dual opteron setup cost?
I can build a similar dual athlon cluster node for less than 1k$ last time
I checked.

The tides of the hardware market is bothersome to keep up with.

Harebrafolk
Jimmy