Collins Richey wrote:

| On Thu, 22 Jan 2004 10:53:36 -0700
| Dan Egli <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
|

|>Collins Richey wrote:
|>

|>>Nothing has changed on my end (portage, rsync, commuincations, etc.)
in a long time, but rsync is totally dead - always times out.  I've
tried disabling the firewall (stop shorewall, then shorewall clear), but
I get the same results without the firewall.

|>>I'm starting to look at a tcpdump.
|>>
|>>Can anyone shed any light on this???
|>>
|>>I'm on cable with a router and dhcp, if that makes any difference.
emerge <pkg>, email, browser, etc. all work normally.  I tried
re-emerging rsync.  The problem exists for any and all rsync mirrors.

|>Of my head sounds like your cable provider started blocking the rsync
|>port. Simple test would be to telnet to one of the rsync mirrors into
|>their rsync port. If you are able to connect then the port is not
|>blocked. If you cannot connect then you are likely looking at a blocked
|>TCP Port. A lot of Cable ISPs do that. My Cable ISP blocks all the
|>netbios ports, which would not be so bad if I did not occasionally need
|>to access my Win32 machines.
|>
|>--- Dan
|>
|>p.s. if you don't recall the port, you can always just telnet <host>
rsync.

| I'm thinking that you are correct.  I get the same behavior from the
other gentoo machine on my local net.  This is apparently a recent
change by comcast.

| So, this now brings up the related question: what are the implications
of only doing emerge-webrsync to sync the portage tree?

Must be your local branch because I'm on comcast too and I rsync just
fine. I have no idea on the implications of emerge-webrsync. Someone ele
would be better for that. I'm still new to gentoo.

- --- Dan