Krikket wrote:
First,  I now have my new fresh Gentoo install up and running, with many
thanks going to people here.

I've set a KOI8R console font, so I can read nice cyrillic characters on
file-names and stuff.  I've set the 8x16 font.  (I had the 8x8 font set
during the initial install, until I got the gui going, so things wouldn't
scoll off the screen so quickly!)

But now I find that just about every font in Gentoo is *slightly* too
small for me to read.  Switching back from the 8x8 to 8x16 font didn't
make a whit's bit of difference, so I'm assuming gnome/kde pull their
fonts from somewhere besides rc.conf.

Yes, XFree86 uses different fonts/mechanism.

If someone could point me at the file I need to change to give me slightly
larger fonts across the board, it will be extremely appreciated!

Measure your display's horizontal and vertical dimensions in millimeters. Open /etc/X11/XFree86config[-4] in your favorite text editor and add this line to Section "Monitor":

DisplaySize horizontal-size-in-mm vertical-size-in-mm

One other regional setting problem that I'm having is at some point during
the istall I was asked if I wanted to enter a code for the country
(region) and language.  Not knowing what data it wanted, other than two
two letter codes seperated by a '_', I guessed and entered 'us_us' as my
default.  I guessed wrong.  It probably should have been 'en_us' or
'us_en' or some-such.  Going over the documentation again, I can't seem to
find where I stumbled across this.  Does anyone have any suggestions as to
where I should look?

If u like to see which locales are supported, run this:

qpkg -l glibc | grep locale | less

So u had to put en_US :-)

(Otherwise, most applications attempt to start things, produce an error, and then go back to the default, which is what it should have been using in the first place...)

The final problem with the install, and then I can say that my first
Gentoo install is complete...

CD-ROMs and CD-RW/DVD-ROM combo drives.

Is there a how-to somewhere out there, so I can get these devices working?
My system acknowleges the CD-ROM, but won't allow a user to mount
anything.  If I try to su, I get more errors, but I'm getting either
"mount point does not exist" or "can't find ... in /fstab or mtab",  Part
of the problem, I'm sure, is that I'm not using the right mount-point, but
I don't know what I should be doing here...  Therefore the howto request.

man mount is your friend

I see, u started with linux yesterday, and all training u like to
get from ML. It's not a good idea ...
it'll take decades then :-)

noro