Fred Labrosse wrote:

Linus harling writes:
> Ian Truelsen wrote:
> > >Is it possible, assuming that each user's home directory is on a
> >separate partition, to have the user's home directory mount only when
> >they login and then umount on logout?
> > > >
> > autofs (http://freshmeat.net/projects/autofs/?topic_id=142) does exactly > that...

But it does not work with smb (at least, it doesn't with the version I
tried (old RH7.x machine).

Haven't tried, but i think it should, as far as I know it's just mount automated...
Doesn't smb require user input? Password that is? That might cause some Problems... But then again why use smb? Especially now that MS has released SFU 3.5 as a free (as in beer) download, you would be much better off using NFS.

Hm say that you want to use SMB/CIFS anyway, wouldn't winbindd take care of the password issue? I've never used it, so I'm not too familiar with its capabilities...

/Linus