On Wednesday 28 January 2004 16:13 CET Bill Roberts wrote:
> On 15:48 Wed 28 Jan     , Malte S. Stretz wrote:
> > I just wanted to try the SpamAssassin-2.63 ebuild (again, I already had
> > it installed before but accidently downgraded with the last 'emerge -u
> > world'). So I went and typed in
> >   ACCEPT_KEYWORDS=~x86 emerge -upv dev-perl/Mail-SpamAssassin
> > to see what it needs. And I couldn't believe my eyes when it told me it
> > wants to upgrade the whole system.
>
> Just elimate the "u" from you command. U or u will apply in a global
> fashion.

It actually seems to work, but now *I* am confused :) I've always used -u,
but must admit that I don't istall stuff from ~x86 very often. And the
manpage isn't very here.

So what's the purpose of the --update switch, or better? Does it tell emerge
to recursively look at each and every dependecy and update it if any newer
version is available?

But if so, what if a package I want to update needs another one to be
upgraded. Is there any way (except stating the dependency explicitly on the
command line) to have that one upgraded, too, without standing in front of
a whole ~x86 system after it's finished?

Cheers,
Malte

--
[SGT] Simon G. Tatham: "How to Report Bugs Effectively"
      <http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html>