On Wednesday 28 January 2004 08:00, Collins Richey wrote:

> My $.02.  The whole PGP concept is just a waste of band width on a
> mailing list, with or without public keys.  I could really care less
> whether you are the authentic Phill Barnett (as your key may well
> prove) or Samuel Johnson per your signature <g>.  I'm only interested
> in the content.

It's so easy to fake an from-address and on some broken mailservers you
can fake (nearly) complete headers. So how do you wanna know, if the
answer you get is realy from that person you can see in the from field?
(And I don't wan't to have a look on the header of each mail to check
out if it could be a fake or not).

In some other mailinglists I saw, that faked answers and even viruses has
been sent to the list with the admin address. And IMHO the only way to
check out if the mail is from the right person is PGP.

> It's just so much crap on the screen before and after what I'm
> interested in.  It reminds me of the lamer who used to waste band
> width by including "don't you dare send me private mail; I'll trash
> it" on every posting.

Maybe you should use an e-mail client that can proper handle
signed mail. On my client I can't see any "crap".

You can always use spammassassin to filter PGP-mail. Then you will never
see such "crap" again.

> So here I am wasting band width, and I know from previous experience
> that those who prefer PGP are going to do it anyway.

That's right, and that's fine.

cu

lukas

--
** PGP-key available on keyserver pgp.mit.edu **

Please don't sign your public mail unless your
PGP-key is available for everyone!