david stevenson wrote:
On Friday 30 January 2004 8:05 pm, Andrew Gaffney wrote:

I just got a D-link DI-614+ wireless router and a PCMCIA wireless card. I
can get the wireless card to see the WAP just fine. The problem is that the
WAP is designed to hook directly to a Cable modem or DSL modem. Well, I
already have a DSL modem/router. I can hook up a cable from a LAN port on
the existing router a LAN port on and WAP. I can see the WAP's IP from both
sides of it: wired and wireless. I disabled the DHCP server on the WAP. The
problem is that DHCP requests don't pass through the WAP to my existing
router. Does anyone have any idea how to configure this thing to act as a
normal non-router WAP?

I have the DWL-900AP+ so it may have different options, but on my unit under LAN menu I can select dynamic IP, and it then passes dhcp through to the modem. But note it also gets it own IP the same way, so you may have to search around to find it before you can config it any more.

Or if all else fails the way I started was to use static IP's David

It doesn't allow me to use DHCP for the LAN IP. I tried setting a static IP. It allowed me to get to the remote admin web interface from the wired and wireless side, but it still wouldn't pass DHCP requests from wireless cards to the existing router. Also, if I manually set the gateway on my laptop to the IP of the existing router, I can't get out to the internet, but I can ping the existing router's IP. I have 2 desktop machines using the existing router to get to the internet.

--
Andrew Gaffney
System Administrator