I wanted to play an mpg just now and mplayer starts but gives me no
more than a blue box. I tried re-emerging mplayer without help. I
renamed the ~/.mplayer directory and restarting mplayer Still no
good. I diff'ed my current mplayer.conf to an old backup from when it
was working.... no changes! The only thing I can see different is the
motherboard and processor. I've replaced the Leadtek K7NCR18D-pro
with ab Asus A7N8X. (both boards are nforce2 and I changed from an XP
2100 to a 2400) Sound doesn't work yet on the new board, but mplayer
has worked since I replaced boards. Can someone suggest what to do as
the next logical step? Noatun, xoine and kaboodle don't work either.

opening the xine-ui show the below output. Xine shows roughly the same
results as the other apps only it shows a black window with the mouse
cursor disapearing underneath it.

$ xine
This is xine (X11 gui) - a free video player v0.9.22.
(c) 2000-2003 The xine Team.
Built with xine library 1.0.0 (1-rc2)
Found xine library version: 1.0.0 (1-rc2).
XServer Vendor: Gentoo Linux (XFree86 4.3.0, revision r3). Release:
40300000,
        Protocol Version: 11, Revision: 0,
        Available Screen(s): 1, using 0
        Depth: 16.
        XShmQueryVersion: 1.1.
-[ xiTK version 0.10.5 [XMB]]-
-[ xiTK will use XShm ]-
-[ WM type: (EWMH) KWIN {KWin} ]-
Display is not using Xinerama.
main: probing <aadxr3> video output plugin
main: probing <dxr3> video output plugin
dxr3_scr: Failed to open control device /dev/em8300-0 (No such file or
directory)
main: probing <xv> video output plugin
audio_arts_out: init class
audio_arts_out: open_plugin called
mcop warning: user defined signal handler found for SIG_PIPE,
overriding
audio_arts_out : supported modes are mono stereo
xine_interface: unknown param 10

--
Regards, Ernie
100% Microsoft and Intel free