i had this problem about a week ago. emerging gcc for the first time after switching to ~x86 resulted in something happening where many of the g++ libs that are usually (iirc - im not at my computer right now) put in /usr/lib/ were not there. basically i was getting the exact same error message you are. i did a locate for it (and then subsequently all the other libs it couldnt find) and copied them manually to /usr/bin. i didnt think to try ldconfig or anything like that so im not sure. but since then i have upgraded gcc again and everythings worked perfectly. one side affect you may notice if you tried starting gnome from the command prompt would be that nautilis didnt start even after you fixed the problem. im not sure why but just running it once from a terminal and everything went back to normal (normal being that nautilis starts with gnome again).

ive been using ~x86 for maybe 2 weeks now and that was my first encounter. just remember. switching back to x86 isnt the easiest thing to do. and besides - there are too many benifits to living on the edge. constant heart failure is one of them ;)

currently im having problems with openoffice-ximian but i think its related to trying to run 5 parallel makes (the changelog says something about parallel makes not playing nice) and pwlib wont compile either. other than that im much happier in ~x86.

have fun,
Frank J. Mattia

Kurt Guenther wrote:

It broke on a "emerge world". I haven't deleted anything for some time.

I found the shlib, so I put it on my LD_LIBRARY_PATH. Much better!

I'll go back to the relative safety of X86.

--Kurt