Chris I wrote:

When I started using gnupg, I had set my key to expire a year later.
This day recently passed, and I'm curious if there is anything special I
need to do about the old one (like revoke it, etc) and how I would go
about doing that.

After reading man gpg and the gentoo gnupg docs, i ended up making a
certificate, as well as doing a revoke (although it didnt seem to
invalidate anything afaik).

It should warn anyone who's using the public key after it has expired that the key
should no longer be used to encrypt messages to you, rsp. to check your signatures.
There's no need for a revoke (which would trigger the same warning for a key
that is not yet expired, but the revoke has to be distributed alongside a newer key
rsp. over keyservers before it becomes effective).

You can test this by encrypting a message to yourself (using the expired key).

A similiar warning should be shown when you try to use your expired private key.
You can test this by signing a message with it.