Easier to read version of this mini-HOWTO and comments at:

http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=133464

Indian Language support in GNOME2.4 & XFCE4

This mini-HOWTO details the steps involved in getting Indian language support in Gentoo Linux - as of this time of writing (KDE 3.2), KDE does not yet support Indian languages with anything like the ease with which they are supported in GNOME. We will be using Indlinux 0.73 which can be downloaded here.

Guntupalli Karunakar is the dude who packages Indlinux and writes the install scripts.. I've just modified them so that they work on Gentoo, that's all. All credit should go to him. Thanks also to Mary for first helping me install Indlinux on Gentoo and showing me the correct way to install fonts.

You have to be root to install IndLinux. Create a temporary directory and download the tarball there. Enter the directory and unpack the tarball using:
Code:
tar xvzf Indlinux-Hindi-0.73.tar.gz
cd Indlinux-Hindi-0.73
In this directory, you'll find scripts to install Indlinux. DO NOT RUN THESE SCRIPTS. They are designed for RedHat / Mandrake / Debian. We need to edit these scripts before running em or duplicate the commands they issue manually.

    * Installing the locale
      Edit inslocale.sh
      Code:
      $EDITOR inslocale.sh

      In this file, edit LOCALEDIR so that it points to /usr/share/locale
      Run inslocale.sh
      Code:
      inslocale.sh

    * Installing the fonts
      Code:
      cd fonts
      cp -Rv indic /usr/share/fonts/

      Code:
      $EDITOR /etc/X11/fs/config

in the catalogue section of this file, add /usr/share/fonts/default/pango-fonts-0.3/indic and /usr/share/fonts/indic/OpenType
Make sure that the last line in the catalogue section is the only one that does not end with a comma. all other lines have to end with a comma.

      Code:
      catalogue =/usr/share/fonts/default/pango-fonts-0.3/indic,
              /usr/share/fonts/indic/OpenType

Restart the X Font Server and, just to be on the safe side, re-initialise the font cache...
Code:
/etc/init.d/xfs restart
fc-cache -fv

    * Install the Keymap
      Code:
      cd ..
      inskeymap.sh

You will need to add GKB - the keyboard switching layout tool - to the Gnome panel. In GNOME, right click on the panel - Add -> Utility ->Keyboard layout switcher. Then right click on the GKB applet, select Prefrences , click Add. Then add all the Indic layouts. Indic options are avaialble as Hindi -> India -> Hindi inscript xkbmap. Indic GKB settings will be available by default in future versions of Gnome. If anyone is using XFCE4 and wants to know how to easily switch language layouts, please mail or pm me.

    * Install the Translations
      Code:
      cd trans

if /usr/share/locale/hi/LC_MESSAGES doesnt exist then create it, using
Code:
mkdir -p /usr/share/locale/hi/LC_MESSAGES

      Code:
      cp  -v mo-2.4/*.mo /usr/share/locale/hi/LC_MESSAGES
      cp -v xfcemo/*.mo /usr/share/locale/hi/LC_MESSAGES
      cd ..
      $PAGER README