No it is for making user space programs threaded if they support it (I think).
I do not use it and I am HT.
You can check that HT is working because you start multiple kernel compiles in the background and then you can see both CPUs utilized around 99 % in "top". (Hit 1 when in top if only one CPU shows up.)
Imre

Manuel Pérez López wrote:
Another cuestion: Does emerge need the USE flag 'thread' for compiling HT right?

Recompiled kernel 2.6.1-gentoo-r1 with "Symmetric multi-processing support.". Called kernel at boot with 'smp-acpi' Changed /etc/make.conf for MAKEOPTS='-j3'

Thanks. All is right. The 2 cpus have been activated:

bash-2.05b$ cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor : 0
vendor_id : GenuineIntel
cpu family : 15
model : 2
model name : Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.60GHz
stepping : 9
cpu MHz : 2600.882
cache size : 512 KB
physical id : 0
siblings : 2
fdiv_bug : no
hlt_bug : no
f00f_bug : no
coma_bug : no
fpu : yes
fpu_exception : yes
cpuid level : 2
wp : yes
flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov
pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe cid
bogomips : 5144.57

processor : 1
vendor_id : GenuineIntel
cpu family : 15
model : 2
model name : Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.60GHz
stepping : 9
cpu MHz : 2600.882
cache size : 512 KB
physical id : 0
siblings : 2
fdiv_bug : no
hlt_bug : no
f00f_bug : no
coma_bug : no
fpu : yes
fpu_exception : yes
cpuid level : 2
wp : yes
flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe cid
bogomips : 5193.72