On Sat, Feb 07, 2004 at 07:33:46PM +0100, Gerhard W. Gruber wrote:
> I run once per day an emerge sync to see which packages are update and I have
> two questions about it.

I've found that once per day is too much for me - once every several keeps my
sufficiently up-to-date and eases the load on Gentoo's mirrors.  Your
situation may be different.

> 2.) Why does the list sometimes include packages where there is an N in the
> status? I thought emerge only shows me packages we could be updated indicating
> this with an U and D. N means not installed? Or what exactly does it mean when
> it writes this?

I'm assuming you used the -D option; the package now depends on another which
you do not have installed, or you changed your USE flags such that the
package requires additional ones.