Tom Syroid wrote:

Morning all,

OK, I'm stuck. The problem is 24 hours old and my first instinct was to assume it was a bug in one of the ebuilds I've merged in the last 36 hours. But after monitoring the list, it would appear it's a unique localized problem.

I'm running two Gentoo systems here very similar to several others on the list:

Full ~x86, one a single P3 the other a dual AthlonMP.
NPTL threading enabled on both systems.
phaedrus root # qpkg -I -v gcc
sys-devel/gcc-3.3.2-r6 *
sys-devel/gcc-config-1.3.4 *
All latest patches/fixes/updates applied.

The build for kdepim-3.2.0-r2 craps out with:

snip<<<

checking for xgettext... /usr/bin/xgettext
checking if C++ programs can be compiled... no
configure: error: Your Installation isn't able to compile simple C++ programs.
Check config.log for details - if you're using a Linux distribution you might miss
a package named similiar to libstd++-dev.
died running ./configure, kde_src_compile:configure
*
* Your KDE program installation died while running the configure script
*

!!! ERROR: kde-base/kdepim-3.2.0-r2 failed.
!!! Function configure_die, Line 170, Exitcode 0
!!! (no error message)

ends<<<

This is NOT kdepim specific, I've come to find. I can't build anything involving C++ code.

The weird part is, I built all the latest KDE 3.2.0 packages without error or incident.
I upgraded to the kdepim-3.2.0-r1 release late Wednesday.
I've downgraded to gcc-r5 -- same results.

Where to now, folks?
Suggestions, pointers, and general direction welcomed with open arms.

Try ldconfig. Autoconf (via configure) can be a bit ambigous here IIRC - it says "can't compile C++ programs",
but what it *really* means is "can't run the C++ program I just compiled", and that may mean
that libstdc++.so.5 is not found after a GCC merge, the problem that seems to already have
plagued every 2nd user or so on this list...

If this doesn't work, write a file test.cxx with e.g. the following content:

int main() {}

and do "g++ -o test test.cxx"

and, if this works, "./test"