Daniel Drake wrote:

- How can I change the default to autoconf 2.58? Will my system survive this? ;-} /usr/bin/autoconf is a symlink pointing to ../lib/autoconf/ac-wrapper.pl

# autoconf --version
Autoconf version 2.13
# export WANT_AUTOCONF="2.5"
# autoconf --version
autoconf (GNU Autoconf) 2.58
Written by David J. MacKenzie and Akim Demaille.

To make this default, add the line : export WANT_AUTOCONF="2.5"
to your ~/.bashrc or /etc/profile

Automake runs on a similar system. Check out the script (nano /usr/bin/auto{conf,make}) to find out more about the variables which are listened to.

Daniel

Ah, ok, thanks! That'll do.