Aaron Walker wrote:

On Sat, 2004-02-07 at 18:19, lukas wrote:

You normaly can see these messages while your system is coming up.
When you are logged in you can also type "dmesg | less" to see them.

I get ...
cant find module /dev/rtc
cant find module /dev/misc/rtc

Are you shure that devfsd is proper running?
sys-fs/devfsd must be installed. If it isn't, emerge it.
Your kernel must be compiled with "/dev file system support" and if you
don't have it also compiled with the "Automatically mount at boot"
option, you must add "devfs=mount" as a kernel bootparameter to your
grub.conf (respectively lilo.conf).

cu

lukas

Is there any reason my system works with devfs (and devfsd running) but not compiled with "Automatically mount at boot" nor the devfs=mount boot param?

I used to always compile the kernel w/ auto mount at boot, but somewhere
along the line I stopped, but all the gentoo boxen here still work..

Let's see... 1) Some Gentoo init script mounts it (grepped mine, but didn't find it). 2) You don't use any devices not already in Gentoo's stage1 /dev directory. 3) devfsd mounts it when started. 4-infinity) ?