Gard,

The -D options implies a "deep" update, so in this case, emerge searches not only for updates of the packages you have installed, but for updates for all the packages the installed packages depend on.

About the packages you mention, I don't know, but if you do an emerge --emptytree -vp packageName you will find the whole list of dependencies for packageName, so maybe this way you can identify which packages need the packages you mention.

   Regards
   Jose

Gard Spreemann escribió:

Hi.
Can somebody explain to me why "emerge -pU world" lists a "sane" set of packages to be merged, while "emerge -pUD world" wants to install a new package called sys-kernel/linux-headers-2.4.21?
I'm running kernel 2.6.2, so I'm thinking I don't want that package in my system. It also lists things like freetype, gpm and pdflib, which "emerge -pU world" does not (this is on a server system, and I do not need freetype).
In case it is relevant, I always compile and install kernels manually, without using portage.

-- Gard