On Mon, 9 Feb 2004 05:25 pm, Dennis Robertson wrote:
> On Sun, 8 Feb 2004 11:18 pm, Redeeman wrote:
> > did u emerge the latest versions of alsautils and alsalib? and anothing
> > things, what option do you use on DXS SUPPORT? :)
> >
> > On Sun, 2004-02-08 at 13:29, Kurt V. Hindenburg wrote:
> > > I don't recall any problems using the 2.6-test kernels.  However, with
> > > 2.6.1/2 my sound is terrible.  I get whining, crackling periodicly.
> > >
> > > I've tried add 'apm=idle-threshold=100' to my grub line, as well as
> > > disabling APM/CPU_IDLE.  Neither seemed to help... anyone else have
> > > any ideas/suggestions?
> > >
> > > Card: VIA 8235
> > > Chip: Realtek ALC650 rev 3
> > >
> > >   Kurt
>
> I had the same problem arise after upgrading to KDE3.2 using 2.6.0-mm1
> which previously had given no trouble. The noise started as alsa was loaded
> on boot and lasted about 2 mins. I noticed that alsa-lib was v1.0.2 while
> the rest of alsa were v0.9.8. I downgraded alsa-lib to 0.9.8 and so far,
> touch wood, the problem has not recurred.

Correction. I spoke too soon. The problem remains. I have also downgraded
module-init-tools as recommended in bugzilla a few days ago, with no effect.
I hope someone has a solution to this irritating problem.
--
Dennis Robertson  2/2 Sylvia Street Noosaville QLD Australia
Phone: 61 7 54742343  Mobile: 0419 535539