Hi Barry,

I just ran "emerge world -U" a little while ago.  Now I can't change
to superuser in a console.  What do I do?! *panics*

Did you update baselayout? Did you run etc-update and allow /etc/group to be overwritten?? Sounds like it, since you have to be a member of the 'wheel' group to use su.

I think his situation same as my case. After running

"emerge -u world"

I started a new konsole window but could not 'su -'. Then I rebooted machine and could not start the Gentoo box

(my thread 'HELP: Problem in rebooting after running 'emerge -u world')

B.R.
Stephen Liu