Why not use the hibernate feature of 2.6, then you wont need to reboot and between sleeps it uses no battery...

On Mon, 2004-02-09 at 14:00, Jerry McBride wrote:
On Monday 09 February 2004 02:44 pm, Tianran Chen wrote:
> hi all,
>
> i am using a laptop, so i reboot very frequently. i have been tried to
> make the booting process faster for a long time. right now, i had done
> following reduction on my system:
>
> 1) NO X at all (use emacs and links in framebuffer).
> 2) no modules at all, everything in kernel.
> 3) no network, cron.
>
> with these reductions i lower the booting time to 19s with kernel 2.4.22.
> however, with kernel 2.6.1 now it took more than 25s to boot, partially
> due to hotplug and alsa.
>
> is there anything i can do to make it even faster? 10s will be my goal.
> thanks for any idea!

I've done similar things and also did the following...

I dumped devfs and hotplug. I turned off all the daemons that start stuff at
boot time that I really don't need started at boot time like ntd,
consolefonts, samba, pcmcia, etc.... It'll boot a bit faster that way, but
you won't make any great gains as sooner or later you'll be starting them up
anyway....