Am Dienstag, 10. Februar 2004 00:24 schrieb Spider:
> begin  quote
> On Mon, 9 Feb 2004 23:10:09 +0100
>
> Michael Schreckenbauer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > You're text terminals get corrupted due to a bug in the driver. If you
> > stop  using framebuffer or add
>
> Too bad, I want my TV out. "oops".  And I said "text" not "framebuffer"
> . Back to go.

Hmmm. Never heard of this one. In which way do your text terminals get
corrupted? How does this look like? Only problem I have is, that consolefonts
get "lost", once X has started. "Workaround": after console-login
call /etc/init.d consolefont restart
My TV out is working as a second X server with a different layout. Before I
changed from vga=791 to vga=normal in my grub.conf,  I got strange block
artefacts on my consoles after X has started. Text mode is ok.

> > Maybe a bug that should be reported?
> Done, no feedback. Gave up.

Yes, I already read in another mail, that nvidia is not good in fixing
reported bugs. That's bad behaviour, of course.

> same goes along in the lower part of said email. See , you think it
> works for you, when developers have to hack around nvidia specific
> headaches (not using certain hardware scalers and so on) because the
> drivers don't get fixed.

Well, I am a developer. And nvidia cards are the only ones, I can use with
linux for the kind of applications I am programming. Ati ones are an
alternative. But I'd have to use the binary drivers there too, so where's the
disadvantage of nvidia compared to ati? Which other card could I use for my
purpose? I'm reader of the dri-devel mailing list, I'm waiting for the day, I
can switch to opensource drivers. I know, there are great progresses in the
ati-drivers atm. Once they are done, I will switch, if there is no comparable
opensource nvidia driver. Others will do so too, I think. That's the day
nvidia will have to re-think their policy.

> So, no. I'm not happy with the so called "excellent" nvidia drivers, and
> the drivers poor 2D performance we shouldn't even -talk- about.  (oh, I
> care about 2D. And quality there. "oops" )

2D performance is ok for me. Maybe true, others are better, _I_ don't care.
What I care about, is performance, quality and reliability in 3D. And there
is no opensource driver fitting my needs in all of these atm.

> So no, no points to nvidia from my behalf.

That's ok. It would be kind of strange, if nvidia cards were the best choice
for everybody.

> //Spider

Michael