Hi Vanh,

On Tue, 2004-02-10 at 08:00, Stephen Liu wrote:

For unknown reason my Gentoo 1.4 box can't start after running 'emerge -u world' Login as ROOT does not need root-password (key in root-password popup invalid password) and can't login as USER.

Incidentally Fail-Safe can be started

cat /etc/fstab found following difference.

ReiserFS changed to xfs;
/dev/ROOT        /        xfs        noatime            0 0

following line being added;
none            /dev/shm    tmpfs        defaults   0 0

Can I delete above line and change 'xfs' back to 'reiserfs' to fix starting problem?

# cat /etc/passwd root:x:0,0:root:root:/bin/bash ... ... Operator:x:11:0:operator:/root:/bin/bash

(USER/satimis not found there)

How to restore 'root-password' and re-add USER. Whether;

# /etc/passwd passwd

and

# /etc/passwd useradd

can solve my problem.

This test box without backup therefore I have to taking precaution on each step made.

've just been through this myself. In my case it was genkernel that did
me in. So what I've done was rename the old one back, and remove the new
one.

Thanks for your response.

I also suspect 'upgrade betagenkernel' rendered my Gentoo box into problem.

I have edited /etc/fstab same as Chapter 15 but problem still remained at booting with following warning;

Warning...fsck, reiserfs for device /dev/Root exited with signal 6 Filesystem couldn't be fixed.

At boot I only see one 'genkernel...' without the old version for selection as in other distro. Kindly advise in detail how to fix it.

TIA

B.R.
Stephen