In <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Collins Richey) writes:

>On Tue, 10 Feb 2004 00:49:29 +0100
>Konstantinos Agouros <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

><excellent procedure snipped>
Thanks \:)

>Just a few comments.

>1) If this were my company, I would not be in such a hurry to do
>upgrades.  Except for security problems (do them right away), do the
>emerge sync and emerge -p[uU]v frequently on your main machine, evaluate
>the results, wait a week or two, check forums and this list, then
>upgrade your primary machine, evaluate again, and then and only then
>proceed to upgrade the others.

>2) Automation, IMO, will eventually lead to disaster, if you expect
>everything to work every time.  Play safe.  You really have nothing to
>gain at the bleeding edge.  Don't be lulled into thinking that all
>packages marked stable are stable in every environment.

>3) I've seldom regretted being a few updates behind, but I certainly
>remember the pain I experienced before I arrived at this approach.  And
>I have only my single desktop system to think about.

Well the idea is of automated building. Installing them is really a matter
of 'admin says it's ok'

The distcc idea mentioned in the other answer also came to my mind.
Is there btw a way, that an emerge -u that needs more than one package
uses existing packages if they are in /usr/portage/packages?

Konstantin
--
Dipl-Inf. Konstantin Agouros aka Elwood Blues. Internet: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Otkerstr. 28, 81547 Muenchen, Germany. Tel +49 89 69370185