Thanks to everybody for the help.

Ok, we are closing up... it seems my video card needs the via driver included in XFree 4.3.xx. I have taken a look to the ebuild for xfree-4.3.0-r4, and I have found the following lines, all of them commented out:
# mirror://gentoo/XFree86-4.3.0-drivers-via-${VIADRV_VER}.tar.bz2"

#       ebegin "Adding VIA driver"
#       cd ${WORKDIR}
#       unpack XFree86-${PV}-drivers-via-${VIADRV_VER}.tar.bz2
#       cd ${S}
#       eend 0

# Compile the VIA driver
# echo "#define XF86ExtraCardDrivers via" >> config/cf/host.def

Could somebody from the Gento team comment on this, please? Could I have this driver compiled just including those lines in the ebuild? Has this been commented out due to some bug?

   Thanks, regards
   Jose

Norbert Kamenicky escribiÃ:

Jose GonzÃlez GÃmez wrote:

Ok, you have impressed me, but... how the $#@ do you know this device is the KM400 chipset? I really would like to know :o)

The trick is to put about three words to goooogle :-). This URL occured: http://www.pcidatabase.com/vendor_details.php?id=648

Do you know which settings should I use to properly use this video card, or must I stick to the vesa driver?

Since I never played with it, I can just give u an advice: Visit www.via.com.tw (look for linux drivers). VIA is taking much more care about linux users as other chinese co.'s, so 4 sure u'll find relevant info.

noro