I wish I knew what I did, but I was getting the same thing, only mine
was a reiserfs, two old kernels could mount root ok but the new 2.6.1-r1
could not.  After the third re-compile it was working, can't remember
what it was I changed, I had changed a few other things as well.    I
would re-check the kernel configs .  It may have been scsi related as
2.6 and scsi-emulation are not playing well together.