Wazow <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Nickolay Savchenko wrote:
>
>> Right click on sound button, uncheck mute item. ;)
>
> I have also seen that, and have to admit that it made me tinker with
> alsa config, which was just a waste of time :). So why gnome sound (or
> system mixer?) gets muted occasionally?
>
> Andrzej

I don't know exactly, but it seems like gnome has a problem accessing
/dev/mixer after restarting X server. So, it thinks you have no sound
card, and mutes itself. However, it's not gnome's problem, i've
noticed this using other WMs. I'm not an Xfree or alsa hacker and I
cannot say something other than my (maybe stupid) suggestions.

--
Regards,
Nickolay <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>