Start off by searching the portage tree for an ebuild of the latest version.
Alot of the time it won't upgrade it automaticly, but the newer ebuild could
just be sitting in portage.

If this isn't the case, then head on over to bugs.gentoo.org and search for
the package you are trying to upgrade.  When people want a new package or
ebuild to show up in portage, they will toss a bug report in requesting that
someone create an ebuild for this, or submitting one if they made it themselves.

luke