On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 23:45:16 +0100
Jérôme Bouat <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Le jeu 12/02/2004 à 23:28, Matthias F. Brandstetter a écrit :
> > I would suggest you visit http://www.distrowatch.org/
>
> I already saw it but could not see source based comparaison involving
> Gentoo.
>
> I though I could find former users of Source Mage, Sorcerer, Lunar or
> Onebase here.

Sorcerer was forked by lunar, at which point Kylee (Sorcerer's founder)
tried to pull the distro, with little fanfare and much uproar. A group
of folks took what was available thanks to opensource, and kept sorcerer
alive until Kylee came to get his ball back because he didn't want
people to play with it, as far as I could tell. Since he had open
sourced it, that wasn't possible, so the 2nd fork, SourceMage spun off.
Not sure where Onebase fits in, is that a fork of Lunar?

I don't know about Sorcery anymore, after Kylee's acting out, I didn't
trust it or him and went with the SourceMage folks for a while. I worked
some with the init files, hopefully they have cleaned them up since
then. =), since they needed help maintaining/rewriting the code base
and the packages, which they called "spells", which are written in bash.
I even wrote a few "spells" I was proud of, the one for nethack was
originally mine. I learnt a lot about bash and linux.

However, the cutesy names started getting to me, and I had been looking
at Gentoo for a while. The dependency checking is very elegant after
dealing with Redhat, Slackware, Suse, Sorcery and then SourceMage. Also
the use flags and compiler options rock!

Also, read the Gentoo philosophy web-page, and I think the clincher for
me were these 3 articles by D. Robbins:

http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/library/l-dist1.html
http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/library/l-dist2.html
http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/library/l-dist3.html

neal

--
Arithmetic:
        An obscure art no longer practiced in the world's developed countries.